Private Renting By Landlord In Edinburgh

All the private landlords in Edinburgh and even those who are thinking of renting out their flats, apartments and houses must be aware of their key responsibilities which they are legally required to do before renting out their property. These also apply to the letting agents. Importantly they do not apply if you are letting your property for holiday accommodation. Hence in order to rent out your property, there is a simple procedure which you, as a landlord need to follow.

Landlord registration:
Step number one requires all landlords in Edinburgh to register with the local authority where they are or will be renting out the property. It will be a criminal offense if you rent out your property without submitting a valid application for registration. The local authority will consider if you are a 'fit and proper' person to act as a landlord. Once approved, the registration is valid for a period of three years, after this it will have to be renewed.

License for HMO:
If you have plans of renting out your property to three or more people who are not in the same family then you are required to get a Houses in Multiple Occupation license before renting out the property. For example if you are going to rent out your property to a group of students then you are required to get this license. In order to get this license issued you will have to apply to the local authority of the area, which will then inspect the property to ensure that it is suitable for multiple tenants.

Repairing standard:
The Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 has brought into force a new repairing standard and according to this the landlord must ensure that the property is wind and water tight and reasonably fit for human habitation; the structure and exterior of the house are in reasonable repair and proper working order; the installations in the house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation, space heating and heating water are in reasonable repair and proper working order; any fixtures, fittings and appliances provided under the tenancy are in reasonable repair and proper working order; any furnishings provided under the tenancy are capable of being used safely for the purpose for which they are designed; and there is satisfactory provision for detecting and giving warning of fires.

Before renting out the property the landlord must ensure that his/her property meets these requirements, if not, then repairs must be carried out to comply with these requirements.

Genia Asley is marketing manager for Greenlet, Real Estate Company in Edinburgh.If you want more information on Edinburgh Flats for Rent Please visit Edinburgh Property

Original article